Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Impromptu Intertaining

Perhaps you've heard me mentioning the little soiree I'm having tomorrow. It is, in fact, a barbecue. And yes, you've been reading right - it's at 7:30 am.
Unsure of how to spin the tale of how this came to be - I'll just say that the powers that be in the Media Machine have decreed that there should be barbecue footage and due to scheduling conflicts, I will be rotissing my first chicken early tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, and to the dismay of said Media Machine, none of our friends will be able to join us for an outdoor hullabaloo. At 7:30 in the morning. On a Thursday. Before work. Yeah.

Bravely, and alone, I set out to plan our "party" today.

First I should say that I have no idea how to use a rotisserie. Not to mention, this grill... it intimidates me. The lid? Just a guess, but I'm gonna say it weighs roughly 748 pounds. BUT, I managed to figure out how to light the whole thing and let it burn for a half hour like the delivery guys said. Step one. Check.

Step two, finding a recipe. The book that came with the grill only has a recipe for turkey. Strike. I looked on-line and found something seemingly easy. However, it did mention the not so smallish detail of tying up my bird.

I stuck my nose in The Joy of Cooking and followed the instructions for a "Simple Truss" and bondaged my chicken as best I could. However, based on a few different Law and Order episodes, I have a feeling my chicken will manage to strangle and somehow frame me before the day is done.


Now, perhaps because it's supposed to be obvious, but more likely it has something to do with the fact that there was no chicken recipe in that book (only mention of a turkey) there were no instructions on how to put poultry ON the rotisserie thingy.

I think my birdie is too small. Or my grill is too large. Far too large.

Regardless. My spices are prepared for the crack of dawn.

I bought a plant for the table.

And now that I'm home from Bed Bath and Beyond where I had to buy a turkey baster and meat thermometer, I've begun preparing some of the requisite barbecue side dishes and snacks. For... two? I guess?

My brow has barely unfurrowed all day... it's been just that confusing.

1 comment:

Sooze said...

Ah. The media.
The bird frightens me. "I" am going to attempt "beer can chicken" this weekend. Hopefully I won't blow myself up.

The little peeks of the backyard? I can't WAIT to see the whole thing. I WANT VIDEO!!!!!