Thursday, June 11, 2009

And What Do You Suppose THIS is? - a repost


>

Do you think it’s possible that the roots of all the weird plants in the entire world grow directly into my yard?

Me too.

Digging away yesterday, minding my own business, I found this.



I’ll admit it, for a minute I thought it was a wire. Living in a part of Colonial America, I’ve seen some that resemble this. Once I regained my senses, I pulled and followed. My detective skills led me in two directions – under the steps of the deck, and under the grass, towards the ferns I have yet to de-weed.

I don’t get it. It’s a root of nothing. Or maybe it only wants me to think that.

Down towards the back of the yard, there’s these leaves. Big ones.



Curious, I asked Matt what they were. Curious, Matt got a shovel. Curious, we both scratched our heads.



My first thought with a big smile was “Carrots”! It didn’t take me long under Matt’s smirk to snap out of that false identification. As it turns out, there’s about a 50’ square network of these, all rooted together underground. Perfect.



Our yard belongs to the wild. The violets have clear control of the lawn



the Squirrels use it for storage



and a (flock, school, group, gaggle?) of ants has now taken over my little garden, thanks to a muffin “crumb” Matt chucked in there. They startled me out of my flip-flops when I was watering and the ground started moving.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Of course - since I first blogged this a couple years ago - we've discovered that my "carrots" were pokeweed. Not nearly as tasty.

Nicky Six said...

I think ants come in a colony.